- Turn off water, gas, and electricity.
- Secure all windows and doors.
- Take small valuables and important papers, but travel light.
- Take small games and toys for children.
- Take all medication that you will need.
- Leave early; if possible, travel during daylight hours.
- Leave food and water for pets, if other arrangements have not been made.
Things to take with you:
- Battery-operated radio and flashlight
- Extra batteries can be handy, too.
- First Aid kit
- Bandages, wraps, aspirin/pain relief medicine, etc.
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Shelters may have these but you will be more comfortable with your own stuff.
- Extra clothing and footwear
- Closed toe shoes, rain gear, work gloves.
- Extra medications, eyewear, and hygiene kit
- Contacts and solutions, deodorant, etc.
- Lightweight folding chairs and/or cots
- Again, you will be more comfortable with your own stuff.
- Personal items including books and toys
- These will help you pass the time.
- Infant necessities
- If you have an infant :-).
- Important papers
- Valid ID, insurance information, phone numbers to contact family, etc.
- Remember, ATM machines will not work in a power outage.
Back To Hurricane Page